Katie E. Merkel
Katie E. Merkel is a Partner at Henschel Moberg, P.A. Devoting her practice to family law, she handles cases involving spousal maintenance, child custody and parenting time, child support, collaborative divorce, paternity, prenuptial agreements, post-dissolution matters and more. She represents clients within the Greater Twin Cities area and throughout Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties.
Ms. Merkel received her bachelor's degree from the University of Minnesota and earned a law degree from William Mitchell College of Law. Before joining Henschel Moberg, P.A., she served as a law clerk for the Minnesota Judicial Branch's Hennepin County Family Court.
Active in professional organizations, Ms. Merkel is a member of the Hennepin County Bar Association, the Minnesota Bar Association, Minnesota Women Lawyers and the Family Law League of Minnesota, an organization comprised of practicing family law attorneys within the community. She is also active in pro bono and community work and has been recognized by the Minnesota Justice Foundation for her volunteer work in the public interest.
Committed to professional education, Ms. Merkel has delivered lectures and published articles for legal organizations and journals. In recent years, she wrote an article about Minnesota's changing marriage laws for Attorney at Law Magazine and also co-authored an article on the increasing cost of college and changes in family law, which was published in The Hennepin Lawyer, the official publication of the Hennepin County Bar Association. For a Minnesota continuing legal education program, she also delivered a lecture on how rising college costs are affecting divorce settlements.
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minn., 2005
- B.A., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn., 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Member, Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Member, Family Law League
Honors and Awards
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list 2017
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list 2016
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list 2015
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list 2014
- Minnesota Justice Foundation Achievement in Volunteer Public Service
- President's Student Leadership & Service Award, 2002
- "The Complete Family Lawyer's Quick Answer Book," Contributor, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, November 2015
- "To Marry or Not to Marry: The Choice is Yours in Minnesota," Attorney at Law Magazine, July 2013
- Co-Author, "The Intersection of Rising College Costs and Changes in Family Law,"The Hennepin Lawyer, October 2010
Classes & Seminars Taught
- Facilitator: “Divorce Camp 2017,” Minnesota Chapter American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers-October 2017
- Lecturer: “The Complete Family Lawyer: Answers to Questions about Property,” presented with Ben M. Henschel, Family Law Institute, March 29, 2016
- Facilitator: “Divorce Camp 2015,” Minnesota Chapter American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers-September 2015
- Lecturer: "The Complete Family Lawyer's Quick Answer Book-Property," Minnesota Continuing Legal Education-November 2015
- "The Impact of Rising College Costs on Divorce,"Co-Lecturer,Minnesota CLE Webcast, May 10, 2011